Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Red wigs on a clothesline....

When I was a kid, my mother was married a few times.

First to my dad...

Then to my brother's dad...

Then to my second step-dad who was from Kentucky...

Then to the third step-dad who was from Massachusetts...

Then last but not least to my last step-dad who is still my step-dad.
GIVE THAT MAN A METAL!



Yeah...there were a few others in between the husbands who almost made it to the wall of alimony but they escaped before the nuptials.

Anyway...today I will tell you about one of my step-grandparents.
Yeah...that's right. All those step-dads meant step-grandparents, step-aunts, step-uncles and step-cousins.
LOTS of people to have in and out of your life huh?

My first step-dad and my brother's father was from Long Island New York. He was stationed at Loring Air Force Base and that's how he met my mother. I lived with her and my aunt in a trailer about a half mile from the base. I can still picture myself standing in my crib, looking at a pink and purple and orange paisley curtain hanging over the window. I can also remember the man who gave me my elephant. He was tall with short brown hair and wore birth control glasses...like these...



I still have the elephant. I have always loved it. It was yellow and purple with a paisley print all over it.
Paisley was popular in the sixties no?



See? They made shorts out of the same print as the curtain I remember.
Anyway...my first step-dad's mother was named Julia.
She didn't approve of my mother mainly because my mother wasn't rich or Catholic. Of course her son worshiped the ground my mother walked on, so he married her anyway, against the wishes of his mother.
So she decided to come visit us in Northern Maine, quite a different place than Long Island, no?
She was a loud woman, short and busty with bright red hair. The first time I saw her, she scared me shitless. She talked non-stop and sewed like a maniac. Apparently she had made good money making dresses and such for the ladies on Long Island.
She made me tons of clothes and genuinely seemed to like me.

Still...she scared me a little because she was loud. Well....it was that and the wigs.She had half a dozen wigs, all of them styled like this...



Now I know that's not scary. The scary part was that I didn't KNOW her hair came OFF her head and when I saw six of those wigs hanging on the clothes line it FREAKED ME OUT A LITTLE.
I was standing at the window, watching those wigs blow in the wind when she came up behind me, wearing a kerchief on her head. For some reason it petrified this poor little four year old kid enough that she remembered it clearly 37 years later.
Later that year when my brother was born, I kept a close eye on Julia. I mean after all, someone who can take their hair off might want to eat a baby, right?

Yes...I did have a rather large imagination as a child, but it was an escape tactic to get away from the bad stuff...I treasured my imagination.

So...eventually, the creepy hair removing grandmother left and so did step-dad number one. He got sent to Vietnam and didn't come back to us. I thought he'd been eaten by a huge snake. I told people that a big snake had eaten my black haired daddy and he was never coming back. I suppose that's because he sent a picture to us from Vietnam holding a huge anaconda across his shoulders. I just figured it had eaten him and that was that.
I still don't really know what happened and why he didn't come back, but step-dad number two was in the house before the divorce was even final.
As for my brother, well he never got to meet his dad. He's tried to contact him but doesn't ever get any response. And when my sister-in-law contacted my brother's uncle, the uncle claimed that there was never a baby born to his brother.
It's a terrible mystery that my brother's father refuses to enlighten us about.

And my mother?

Well...she knows what happened but she won't tell either. She has this way of completely obliterating the ex's once she's done with them.
They cease to exist and if they happen to be your father, too bad.

I met my father, but that's another story for another day.

In other news of the strange and unusual, today is Elderly Hell Day. I made an emergency trip to the grocery store last night to avoid having to venture too far from my house today.
So with that said, todays word will be "safe".
Try to trick as many people as you can into saying it and then make LOTS of noise when they do.
Drives people NUTS!!!
It's a great way to have some adolescent fun.

Speaking of nuts and adolescent fun...
Last night before I went to bed I had a bowl of Grape Nuts with Vanilla Soy milk. I was busy typing up minutes from our Board meeting and I let it sit a little too long. When I went to take a bite, it was a mass of mush.
Feeling somewhat naughty, I decided to form it into a phallic shape and leave it sitting for my husband to see when he got up in the morning.
Sure enough, he got up and went downstairs to check his email and found my Grape Nuts, dried up and 'stiff'.
When he came upstairs I sat and watched him.
He said nothing.
I said nothing.
Then finally, he spoke.
"You should be medicated, you know that?"

Here is my mood today....



Like the red wig reference? Today I say,"Life is too short! HAVE FUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!"

There's nothing like looking at the past in order to appreciate a new chance in the future...

23 comments:

  1. LOL...too funny!

    I took a class in college once that was called something like "The Family: Then and Now" and the proff talked about there coming a time when fathers will be referred to only as "sperm donors". It should make weddings interesting...

    Thanks for visiting my blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think safe is a good word for today. Life is difficult enough as an adults let alone the children that are involved. Sorry its sounds like your childhood was complicated. But I think even with those complication I don't see how you could have turned out to be a better person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can your brother resist calling Montel? OK. I know that is a stupid question since every time I watch one of those shows I always wonder why the one who is learning the secret even agreed to show up. It's not like anyone ever goes on there and the surprise is a brand new car.

    I may have had a skort and vest outfit made out of that same material! I'm willing to guess there was a fringed poncho in your past, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Several fringed ponchos in fact!!! Some were crocheted by the world famous Orilla Foresman who lived across the street from my Nana's house.

    (I don't really think that Orilla Foresman was famous but everyone I knew had one of her crocheted ponchos with fringe.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would be so surreal to see a bunch of red wigs hanging on a clothesline.

    I so want to photograph that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rebecca,
    I would so need a picture of that.

    They all have to be the same style of wig though. That just made it a much more bizarre sight to behold...
    Don't forget the white birch tree holding up one end of the clothes line and a porch rail painted a blue-grey holding up the other. That made it even weirder...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your husband said, you should be medicated, right? Because I see you're in denial and wrote mediated. Just face it, chin up and proud.

    You remember things from your crib? I think I can go back no further than Six when a neighbor kid ran over my glasses with a tricycle. Trauma, even tape couldn't save them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HAHAHA RON!!!
    I edited it and now I am MEDICATED!!! WHOO!!!

    Did you say the word of the day? Oh wait...you said 'save'...my mistake..hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gee, I want to edit myself and be medicated, too!!!

    Na-na-na-naaa-na-na-na-naaaa... I wanna be se-da-ted!!!!

    *breaks into air guitar solo*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Er...sorry Mr. Paul is a Hermit sir...I meant to type in your name and somehow it came out as Ron.

    See?

    The Blonde Goddess REALLY IS confused...

    ReplyDelete
  11. See you just can't get me off your mind. I affect all the ladies like that.:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love hearing stories like that of really strange fucked up childhoods. It's amazing the twisted events, ideas and other things we can recover from.
    I hope you have made good use of therapy. It doesn't fix things, but it sure helps sometimes.
    I had the same parents and the same house all through childhood, but my circumstances were no less fucked up.
    That generation didn't pay a whole hell of a lot of attention to their children's mental needs.
    "You need to be medicated" That's not a very nice thing to say to someone who might need to be medicated.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmm, paisley. The equal-opportunity fabric....Looks bad on everyone.

    A grape-nuts wiener. I'd pay good money to see that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok, I didn't even finish reading the post but had to hurry and comment on the new layout, which I love love LOVE!!!

    Ok. Going back to read.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it's really sad when people come in and out of a child's life like that...something I'm currently extremely worried about with my son. His real dad is a jerkoff and my ex(who my son calls "daddy") hopefully will stay in his life

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another positive vote for the new layout...

    Your family doesn't seem so out of the norm. Unless there were some midget step-fathers you didn't mention.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Woah! New blog look! It looks awesome.

    I hope your brother can one day get the answers he seeks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was reading your old stuff and found something like
    "this city is a group of friends who have known each other since HS who thrive on drama."

    Welcome to any town in WV. The small burgs up and down the KV like St. Albans, SC, Dunbar, Nitro are absolutely the worse. You have a tough time breaking in around those provincial MFers.
    There are large pockets oh homeys in Charleston around So. Hills(there are lots of outsiders up there, but those from "The Hill" rule (at least they think)), the West Side, East Enders. . .
    Fairmont, Clarkburg, etc., all the same. These folks are born, live and die together.
    Down in Boone, Logan, Mingo, if you're an outsider you are what they first decide you are and you never migrate from that. And yea, drama makes their lives rock.
    I hope Buzzbill gets her nuts up over my crass generalizations.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The town I live in (Spencer) is definitely a group of friends who have known each other since HS who thrive on drama. I didn't grow up there; I grew up closer to Charleston where there were enough people around that people had a certain amount of anonymity. I moved to Spencer, where there is so much drama between people (over really stupid, stupid stuff) at times that I feel like I'm at a middle school dance.

    I think all small towns are kind of like that, at least around here. It's a good thing, sometimes, though -- there is such a closeness, too, that everyone feels like they know you and they genuinely commiserate with you when thigns are bad. It's a little unsettling for people like me who aren't used to that, but the whole town literally comes out to help when you're having a hard time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, SagHill, how could I get my nuts up when you're speaking a truth? Lots of people don't want to trust beyond their HS friends. I'm not one of them, but that doesn't make them exist any less.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mediated or medicated, your husband is funny! Stiff grape nuts, on the other hand...

    Needing some meds doesn't sound very unusual given the family history you list here in this post, BG. No doubt you're quite well adjusted, all things considered.

    ReplyDelete