Friday, December 7, 2007

Manopause...it's real

Yeah...I've been thinking...my husband may be suffering from MANopause.
What is manopause you ask?
Well....it's the male version of menopause we women suffer through.
There are sure fire signs that women are going through menopause and here they are...

1. Hot flashes, flushes, night sweats and/or cold flashes, clammy feeling
2. Irregular heart beat
3. Irritability
4. Mood swings, sudden tears
5. Trouble sleeping through the night (with or without night sweats)
6. Irregular periods; shorter, lighter periods; heavier periods, flooding; phantom periods, shorter cycles, longer cycles
7. Loss of libido
8. Dry vagina
9. Crashing fatigue
10. Anxiety, feeling ill at ease
11. Feelings of dread, apprehension, doom
12. Difficulty concentrating, disorientation, mental confusion
13. Disturbing memory lapses
14. Incontinence, especially upon sneezing, laughing; urge incontinence
15. Itchy, crawly skin
16. Aching, sore joints, muscles and tendons
17. Increased tension in muscles
18. Breast tenderness
19. Headache change: increase or decrease
20. Gastrointestinal distress, indigestion, flatulence, gas pain, nausea
21. Sudden bouts of bloat
22. Depression
23. Exacerbation of existing conditions
24. Increase in allergies
25. Weight gain
26. Hair loss or thinning, head, pubic, or whole body; increase in facial hair
27. Dizziness, light-headedness, episodes of loss of balance
28. Changes in body odor
29. Electric shock sensation under the skin and in the head
30. Tingling in the extremities
31. Gum problems, increased bleeding
32. Burning tongue, burning roof of mouth, bad taste in mouth, change in breath odor
33. Osteoporosis (after several years)
34. Changes in fingernails: softer, crack or break easier
35. Tinnitus: ringing in ears, bells, 'whooshing,' buzzing etc.


ALL of the things in bold print are the things Mr.Man has been experiencing lately. now tell me he's not going through MANopause...

I mean, damn it, there has to be an explanation.
I want my Mr.Man back.



Yeah.So we'll have to try to figure out what the problem is so we can fix it. I'm in this for the long haul you know....

I was married once before, to my oldest daughter's father. He was my first boyfriend. He came into my life when it had climaxed at a horrible crescendo.
I was indifferent to everything.
I wasn't afraid of dying. (Dying is easy...it's living that's hard.)
I walked around hiding it all behind smiles and jokes.
I channeled my apathy into empathy but that was before I learned how to forgive.

He was three years older than me and took me places...fed me something besides macaroni & cheese and peanut butter.(the stuff I hid in my room so I have something to eat.)
All of our friends were the same so it was fun...and fun is what I needed in my life.
We dated for a year and eventually I gave into my fear and had sex with him.
It was traumatic but that wasn't his fault. The demons from the rest of my life were perched around us, watching and filling my head with other thoughts.
We fought about it and he dumped me.
Of course by then it was too late.
I was pregnant.

Some might say that the pregnancy was a terrible thing but you know, I don't see it that way.
It saved me.
I finally had someone to love who wouldn't reject me or abuse me or leave me.
I might have stepped into the forest one night and never came back had it not been for that baby growing inside of me.

He hated me for being pregnant. He had great plans to go to Alaska and live with his brother.He had plans and found himself in prison instead.I became a ball and chain to him and he just kept trying to escape.
When he couldn't escape it he just tried to pound and hammer it away. He broke the ball...left dents and scars on it, but the chain remained intact.

I broke the chain. I had to muster the courage to break it because he was too much of a coward to do it. I think he feared what his parents would say.

I didn't leave because I thought I deserved anything better than what I had known my whole life. I left because I didn't want my daughter to grow up thinking that is how women should allow men to treat them.

Eventually, I met Mr.Man.
He wasn't the one I expected to be so kind to me. He was very handsome and he knew it. He was cocky and arrogant and I didn't particularly like him.
Of course in time, I saw the real him, hidden behind the good looks and airs he projected.

I still cried the day we got married because I was terrified.

Of course I was afraid I wouldn't be enough to capture his love for a lifetime.

That of course has not been true. We've endured many things and stayed together. It's been a struggle at times but somehow we've worked it out.

There has only been one other man in my life. I loved him and I still love him. He will always remain in my heart.
Maybe if things had been different we could have made things work but the joy he showed me, as brief as it was, was much too perfect to be real.
Things that beautiful are not allowed...

Yes...today has been somewhat heavy again today, but I write what I need to.

Now I will go dig out my Christmas tree and make memories with my children.
GOOD memories.
Loving and warm and solid memories.

And the next time I write, things will be light and airy again. I can already feel this sharing mode dissipating...

This window won't open very often...but when it does, bear with me...

14 comments:

  1. Tammie I'm sorry to hear of your pain, but you made the right choices. As you know I have some abuse experience and I am glad that you have been able to move on from some of the pain and seem to have taken charge of your life. Your an inspiration to others that may have experienced the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you for being so strong. You and Mr. Man have built up quite a good life together and I'm happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the bad experiences that help us better appreciate it when things are better. But who the hell wants that kind of perspective? I'm glad that you are in a much better place in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog through the hillbilly's blog. This post really touched me. Thanks so much for sharing it. I'm gonna bookmark you. You'll be seeing me again, from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being a real person means that you've experienced joy AND loss, pleasure AND pain. Never EVER feel like you need to hide that here.

    Just be yourself, darlin'! We get it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I very much get your need to take a break from being light and funny to share your introspection. I do the same thing and it helps to balance the scales.

    As for your thoughts on menopause...the world better look out because all these babyboomers will be hitting menopause in the coming years...gah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It doesn't always have to be light and airy. Life isn't and we can't be either. I have moods as dark and deep as the Puerto Rico Trench (the deepest part of the Atlantic Ocean). I figure the eyes that can see heights of laughter in the mundane everyday crap we all face must also be able to see the depths of it.

    You've got those eyes too. It's a small price to pay to be able to share the laughter that you normally see.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, and I hate to interrupt your comments, but I think you missed where SagaciousHillbilly and I both asked for your thoughts on my "By Special Request..." post from a few days ago. If you haven't seen it maybe you'll laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where did you get that menopause symptom list?

    I've been in menopause since I was 22 years old according to that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with Brenda.

    Now, when people call me a (insert insult here), I can just bark "shaddup! I'm going through menopause!"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Buzzardbilly, I did mean to comment on that post but other things came up and it was forgotten.
    I'll share my thoughts about that whole thing the next time I write in here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Goddess. Dump the old guy. That's your only option. It's all downhill from here unless you trade up on a newer model. . . just don't tell my wife I said that.
    I'm glad that today I can look back on the crap and the hell I've been through and realize that it took all of it,. . . every fucking minute of pain and glory to get where I am and be who I am today and this I wouldn't trade for $12 million.

    ReplyDelete
  13. YOu are so strong....what a story...
    I have to go have a girl moment and cry now...

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's some pretty raw stuff, Tammie. It sounds like you've grown quite a bit over the past decade or so. No doubt you've made sure your kids have a much better start than you did. No better testament exists.

    ReplyDelete