Tuesday, December 25, 2007

It was the week before Christmas.....

Since there was probably a glitch with setting things up before she left,I'm posting the little poem I wrote for Tracy to put on her blog. I'm sure something happened with the system and I bet ya she's gonna be upset when the remainder of her twelve guests of Christmas didn't show up as expected.

I'd be upset too.

Anyway...here is a little insight into the Christmas joy that is my life.

Much love!!!


It was the week before Christmas and all through my house...
EVERYTHING was in chaos, especially my spouse.

The clothes were all tossed on the floor, on the chairs!
Twenty cat hair balls lay in piles on the stairs.

Sour milk and dirty sock smells wafted from my son's room.
My daughters skulked around, two purveyors of doom.
With me feeling apathetic and not giving a shit
The house was a wreck and I didn't care one bit.
"I'm tired of busting my ass for all of you".
I said as I grabbed a mud covered shoe.
I looked at the tree lights, tangled in knots
and the glued and paper ornaments my kids made as tots.
The chewed up newspaper strewn all over the floor
and the forty thousand fingerprints smeared on the door.
"I can't get this house ready," I thought with dismay.
"There's no way I'll be finished before Christmas Day!

Then much to my surprise Mr.Man got off the couch.
He straightened up and cracked his back with an "Ouch."
"What can I do to help?" he said with a grin.
"My God he's drunk", I thought. "He's been in the gin."
But no, he was sober. (More sober than me.)
So I put him to work putting lights on the tree.
When the girls came down stairs, their eyes filled with awe
(I don't think they believed the sight that they saw.)
So they both pitched in and started trimming the tree.
(Without the usual prodding and guilt trip from me.)
I left them to finish putting up ornaments and lights
and prayed to God it'd be completed with minimal fights.

Feeling at ease and filled with a little holiday cheer...
I began sweeping off each hair covered stair.
I ran the vacuum and dusted bottom to top.
I was so friggin tired I thought I would drop.
But I kept on moving and cleaning some more.
I made my bed and picked the clothes off the floor!
Then I moved into the kitchen and scrubbed till it was shiny.
I worked my ass off all day....really busted my hiney.
Once the house was clean and the decorations were complete...
I began wrapping all the presents,which is no easy feat.
As I cut out perfect sheets of Christmasy wrapping.
I looked up at Mr.Man who was sound asleep napping.
I tucked and I folded, even making the corners straight.
I secured every package with ten rolls of tape.
As each present was wrapped it went under the tree.
Soon there were gifts as far as the eye could see.

I know I complain about the work Christmas makes.
The shopping and wrapping....baking cookies and cakes...
But I'm really grateful for all the things that I've got.
The ample food that goes straight to my butt...
The chaotic and cluttered roof over my head...
An indoor bathroom and a soft comfy bed...
Brains and humor, stunning good looks...
My IPod that I adore and tons of books.
A cup of hot coffee made fresh by my Bunn...
The ability I have to make everything fun...
My kids,Mr.Man,my family and friends, the dog and my cats...
My old squeaky dented car with it's chewed up floor mats.
I have a lot to be thankful for and even though I bitch...
If I had a chance be someone else, I wouldn't switch.

So for all of you that read about my life every day.
I have something important I just need to say...
"Happy Holidays to everyone! You mean the world to me!
I hope the New Year brings you all love and prosperity!"

3 comments:

  1. I hope your Christmas was Merry!! Good poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Tammie, this is a wonderful poem on holiday prep and why anyone does it.

    Brains and humor, stunning good looks...

    You got it all, kid. I hope this day made you happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This needs to be turned into a Chirstmas special...STAT.

    ReplyDelete