Wednesday, September 5, 2007

In New England, most people suffer from it...

I am a Red Sox fan. A DIE HARD FAN! I've been either watching or listening to Red Sox games as long as I can remember.
I can remember watching the Red Sox play on our old black and white TV on channel 8. Channel 8 was one of the three channels we got. The other two were PBS and CBC, Public tv and a Canadian channel. Not that I would have turned the channel or anything. I mean, come on here...it's the Red Sox!!!
There were days working in the field, haying or picking rocks out of the rows to keep the digger from breaking, with the transistor radio blaring the Sox game. Our sweaty brows and parched lips either frowning with disgust at a losing score (ESPECIALLY to the YANKEES!!) or uplifted and radiant as the Red Sox pounded hit after hit, scoring run after run toward another win...(ESPECIALLY against the YANKEES!!!)

Yeah...my family suffers from the disease. If there is no Red Sox game on TV, including the reruns of winning games, then we look for a game where the Yankees are getting their ass kicked. It's equally as pleasurable for us. We own the assorted hats, banners, t-shirts, St.Patrick's honorary t-shirts, mugs, jackets....you name it. I even have a few panties...LOL. I haven't found a bra yet, but if I did...well..that would probably be bad. I wouldn't want to wear a shirt over it...haha...

This morning I ordered my son two more Red Sox t-shirts and myself two as well. My husband has four or five already and I do too, but you can never own enough of them. If my camera was working, I'd take a picture of myself in one of my Red Sox caps, but I need new discs to take any pictures and I had to order them off line because I couldn't find them locally.

Stupid camera...

So as I re-read the stats for the Sox this year, I felt my chest swell with pride. I can't help it. I love them. It's just how things are in New England. They are everywhere. In Maine, New Hampshire, Mass, Connecticut and Rhode Island. All the stores carry banners, hats, mugs, bumper stickers, etc...
I'm like any other self-repecting New Englander.

My favorite is Varitek.

I practically fall apart at a close up shot of him. He's the best catcher and stays on top of things.

Of course to my Nana, Manny is the MAN...


My son and nephews love Coco...

My brother? Well he likes them all...he's just a huge fan of the whole team...

By the way...let's hear it for Papelbon pitching in three straight games...not bad...not bad...
The Sox beat the Blue Jays for those of you who didn't know that. I get my Sox fix off the internet....
The don't show many Red Sox games on the stations here in West Virginia. I am deprived....deprived I tell you....

BUT...next week I will be sporting new Red Sox shirts and so will my son. That will help satisfy me until next summer when I can return to a place where everyone eats, breathes and sleeps Red Sox...

How I MISS IT!!!

4 comments:

  1. Dude, Hello, NO HITTER! And my personal fave is Youkilis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my, GOD!

    Another freakin' Maineiac?

    YES!

    Which COUNTY are you from?

    (I grew up in Penobscot...between Bangor and Mt. Katahdin!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am from Aroostook County. I grew up in New Sweden...it's near Caribou.

    Have you checked out the Mt. Katahdin webcam?

    http://www.katahdincam.com/

    Evil Twin's Wife told me you were from Maine, so I checked out your blog. It's always so nice to connect with other transplanted Maineiacs...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a transplanted New Englander living in SC, we don't miss many games with the MLB package on DirecTV. We have bought all the crap as well, someone is getting rich on this stuff. And we also flip back and forth to the Yankees game so we can root against them and cheer any of their shortcomings. It's all good in the baseball world right now, even after they blow a game (last night) and no one is contemplating suicide this morning. Do it a few more times though and it will be a different story.

    My wife digs Varitek as well, and her BF digs Mike Lowell. I like seeing Tina on the sideline although I sometimes mute it because she doesn't add anything I don't already know.

    BTW, Youk has a face that looks like a bears ass. Sorry, it just does. And it would be nice if he started hitting again too, maybe I'll then upgrade it to a horses ass.

    ReplyDelete