Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Boston...you got what I want.

When I was a kid growing up there there three constants in my life...the Red Sox, the Patriots and the Celtics.
I can remember sitting on the chair closest to the TV in Nana and Pa's living room and watching in amazement as Larry Bird,Robert Parish,and Kevin McHale all worked their magic on the court. I LOVED all three players and when Dennis Johnson and Bill Walton joined the team later in the 80's, they too became big favorites of mine.
For some reason, when I turned 14, the NBA was the THING to watch for me. I would turn down invitations to do other things so I wouldn't miss a game. I fell in love with the Celtics and continued to get great enjoyment out of watching them play all the way up until 1991.
As the end of the eighties grew closer and more new players arrived I grew to like them too and acquired a few more new favorites...Reggie Lewis and Joe Kleine.
I really loved watching them play, you know?
Same thing with the Red Sox. I won't bore you with the details but that was more of a family affair. We ALL watched them play where as the Celtics was kind of just my thing.
I'll admit, while I liked the Patriots, I didn't miss other activities to watch their games like I did the Celtics or Red Sox. I enjoyed it and I had a couple of favorites but it wasn't as important to me as the Celtics and Red Sox.

Truthfully, I miss watching the Celtics. I miss watching the Red Sox with my family. Hell, they don't even broadcast any of the games down here and I occasionally get to watch one on TBS or ESPN or something...if I can catch it.

Mr.Man is not a sports fan. He will watch the Red Sox with me but would never watch the Celtics. I guess that's part of the reason I stopped watching them. It was always a struggle to find a free TV to watch or the time to catch a game.

You know...I want to be able to go watch the Red Sox play at Fenway before I die. And I want to watch the Celtics play at "The Gahden". I need to make a list of things I want to do before I die. Jennifer posted a list of a 100 things she'd like to do before she dies. That's kind of where I got the idea from. Right now I have two on my list. I guess you could say that I'm working on the rest.....

I survived the day with Mr.Man. He actually went back to work today which surprised me, but he said he felt a lot better and it made me wonder just how much of his suffering was faked to get extra attention.
He has packed on some weight and it's showing. I call it his "biscuit belly" which makes him furious but hey, if it stops him from eating all that heart attack food then oh well. At least he'll be around when we're old, even if he is a grouch.

Honestly I think he and I should start walking and we'd both feel better. Can't you see us strolling down the avenue?



I should actually go out and take a walk. I'm sleepy. In fact that's all I seem to want to do lately. Sleep. I fight it off all day long.
I'll make that the word of the day. Maybe if I make a lot of noise and jump around like an idiot every time I think about sleep, it will help keep me awake.

I'll admit...I'm feeling very anti-social. I hesitated to accept the lunch invitation to meet with ETW and BuzzardBilly tomorrow but I am planning on it and I'm looking forward to it. I've actually known ETW for awhile and embarrassingly enough, we have never met in person. That's really all my fault, mainly because I stay extremely busy, but that's all changed now. I am clearing my schedule and refusing to answer the phone. I will do a lot less for people than I normally do and there are several contributing factors which I'd rather not go into.

Sleeping is not one of them...

So..with that said, what is my mood today?

I'm guarded....



Yeah...I'm real and what you see is what you get, but there is a veiled area that you're not allowed in today. I'm feeling a little isolated from my life. (Does that even make sense?)

Meh...my confused self will be back tomorrow...

6 comments:

  1. Sort of makes sense to me. I live in a land of confusion anymore. You need to make time for yourself and the things you want so good for you. It's great that you are so giving, but you should never give so much that you miss out on things you dream about or just really want. Your just as entitled to the things you want as anyone else is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you didn't want to have lunch w/us this time,I would have been forced to kidnap you (LOL). Did you decide on a location? Aladin's in Kanawha City, Shoney's in Dunbar or _______ you name it! We're free and ready to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could come too! I'll be up there in August, so I'm hoping we can all meet for lunch then!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    I found your blog in the typical interweb fashion - a link from a link from a link...and I've been quite entertained. You write very well and I am impressed with your ability to manage what seems to be a chaotic household!

    I am leaving my first comment for two reasons.

    One: I live outside Boston and have lived in New England my entire life. As such, I am a serious Red Sox and Celtics fan (and by extension Bruins and Pats fan, although I've never felt the same tug that the Sox and C's have with those other two teams) and I totally relate to how you feel. I grew up in the 80s and feel fortunate to have witnessed Larry, Kevin, Robert, and their supporting cast dominate. I went to some games at the old Gahden and hate the new one. I've lived and died with the Sox since the late 70s, and am still not sure how I'm supposed to feel now that they actually win sometimes.

    Two: I'm sorry you're feeling so down. I'm a part-time single parent (divorced, with a 7-year-old daughter whom I have 50% of the time) so while I can't really claim to know what it's like to deal with your brood, I do feel that crazy duality of "holy cow, I love this kid" and "OMG, won't she just STOP for five minutes????"

    Based solely on what I have read, you are an amazing mother and wife, and I hope this is only a bump in the road for you. Someday your kids will appreciate all you do (hell, they have a written record - how cool is that?) and your husband will step back and take a look at things, and you will be revered!

    But we both know that's not why you do what you do. You do it because nobody else will, because you're good at it, because deep down you love it, and because people like you make this crazy world bearable.

    Keep up the wonderful work, I wish you the best - you deserve it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched baseball way back when, I think the A's were playing the world series. Reggie Jackson was young.
    We had 3 channels to pick from on one TV and the series was it or go play outside.
    I knew you would survive the Man illness - did you use drugs as I suggested?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Gale, I took plenty of drugs. It helped me out. Thanks for the suggestion...LOL

    Kenju, I will make the time to have lunch when you come to Charleston in August. I think it would be wonderful to meet you in person!

    Naticksoxfan, Thanks for the nice compliments. I think that blogging is a great way to vent and work out some of the frustrations we all experience in our lives. Glad to meet you!

    Ron, I'm curious about the answers you're gonna post today...and lunch could work if you're traveling this way too...

    ReplyDelete