Tuesday, January 1, 2008

2008 better be better dammit!

Last night was a quiet one. Mr.Man and I found ourselves alone because all of our kids had plans. We watched a Twilight Zone marathon and had frozen pizzas. It wasn't exactly what I had planned, but it was what it was.
I didn't drink...I cussed though and there was no nudity, ass kicking or sex (unless sex with yourself counts).
On a scale on the am-I-fucking-older-than-death boring scale, it was probably a full blown ten.
I'm just not wired for a quiet evening. Mr.Man and I are completely opposite each other on this one.
I wouldn't have minded an evening alone but with a little more activity.Just not dull...DULL...DULL!!!!

Meh..whatever....

So this morning I got up and started thinking about this new year ahead of me. I am hopeful that the one thing that keeps eluding me, will come to me willingly.
That bird of hope that brushes by me, feathers touching my heart briefly then flying out of reach, will finally realize I'm not the cage that it will end it's life in.

I'm not a cage...I'm a sanctuary.My heart is true and I am genuine.

Riddles and more riddles but that's how I am sometimes. Complicated...but who isn't?
I'm complicated but I'm real.
I'm sincere and I'm loyal.
I think it's a reasonable trade off....

I think I will spend the day cooking and cleaning,(like most other days) and then I may hide away and do some reading. I have a few good books lined up and haven't read anything for over a week. I've been too busy and other than my blog roll of friends I haven't sat to read anything for the longest time.
It's nice to lose yourself in a good book occasionally.

That's all I have for today....a little frustration, a little loneliness and a plethora of longing...

13 comments:

  1. 2008 better be better dammit!

    Amen, sister.

    Happy New Year, Blonde Goddess!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Happy New Year to you.

    You know, I think one of the reasons why I genuinely despise the entire holiday season that starts with Thanksgiving and wraps up when I head back to work tomorrow morning, is all the expectations of these memorable moments that are supposed to happen on these assigned days.

    For years, we would get reservations at hotels on New Years Eve, just so we could feel like we were doing something. But the truth is, aside from the free drinks during the hotel manager's reception and perhaps going to the top floor to look out over the city as fireworks burst, there was nothing more going on than what we could do from home.

    I dread the holidays because I dread the inevitable complaint that we didn't do anything good.

    Last night, we had several of our neighbors come up to just kick back and sit around, drink some beer, eat some pizza and snacks and such. The entire event was billed as, "nothing special, low-key, just hanging out."

    People didn't leave until 3 this morning and honestly, we all had a great time. When a lady who is in her 60's tells me that this was the greatest New Years Eve ever (and means it), I gotta feel like it was something special.

    So my long winded point is, we have so many, TV driven, romantic ideas of what specific Hallmark Card days are supposed to live up to be, but the reality is, you can sit around and drink beer and eat pizza any day of the week; it could be the stuff that makes you want to slit your wrists because life sucks, or it could easily be the best time of your life.

    I'm just not going to let some calender dictate when I have to be in a good mood or have a good time. So there it is, my New Year's resolution (which I don't believe in anyway)- no adherence to calenders. Solves everything.

    Have a good 2008!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ours was almost as fun as yours, but there was drinking, nudity and sex involved. Buddy was at a friends' spending the night, so we were practially alone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No nudity or sex here either, so far 2008 seems a bit lame.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yours was better than mine: I sat around reading and napping while mr. kenju and his brother watched the 10th football game in the last 5 days. Gawd, I hate football.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's to a brilliant 2008. I, for one, think it's got real possibilities.

    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had a nice evening, went to our friends' very nearby (i.e., chances of a cop pulling us over in the hollers slim-to-none). It was low-key but quite fun.

    NOT looking forward to returning to work tomorrow. David will doubtless drive me, as my Prius won't be able to negotiate the snowfall and he insists on keeping the SUV "in case" he needs to go out.

    (Honestly, what MAROON would have a Prius and live in the hollers of Upshur County? Moi.)

    Tammie, hope you don't mind, but I'm gonna nick your quite about the bird of hope. Love that. I'll credit you. :)

    Happy New Year to all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...that would be that I'm gonna nick your QUOTE. Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  9. IT may all be boring, now and then, but you never are. Happy New Year, Tammie, you crazy, lovable, kind to pessimists, woman.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Life getting back to normal is what I look forward to in the new year...

    Happy 2008!

    ReplyDelete
  11. why won't your blog let me comment anymore? Gah!

    Happy '08, WonderWoman.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would pay for that kind of evening during the holidays.

    I am ready to get back to normal and stop having to go to family functions!

    ReplyDelete