Monday, March 24, 2008

So tell me this....

When we were having breakfast yesterday morning, Veggie Stick refused to eat eggs, along with the bacon and gravy made from it.
I don't have a problem with that and support her decision to be a vegetarian. But we did get on the discussion of the difference between vegetarians and vegans. To make things simple, I'll just post the definitions Veggie Stick found online...

Vegetarianism is the practice of living on products of the plant kingdom, with or without the use of eggs and dairy products, but excluding entirely the consumption of any part of the body of an animal as food (including chicken, fish and seafood).


Veganism is a way of living on the products of the plant kingdom to the exclusion of all products from the animal kingdom. A vegan is a total vegetarian who consumes no animal by-products.
Vegans go even further by avoiding both animal derivatives and animal-tested products in their whole lifestyle. This means an avoidance of meat, milk, eggs, butter etc., as well as leather, wool, cosmetics, soaps and shampoos derived from animal ingredients or tested on animals.


I respect and admire anyone who chooses a lifestyle based on their conscience. I really do...but because I am the sick individual I am, I have a question about being a Vegan.

Do Vegans spit or swallow?
Ok...before you condemn me for that question...it's a valid question. I mean really it is. Sperm is actually a living thing so....????

I went on line and found a lot of different forums for this topic. Some vegans actually argued that it's not wrong because their personal belief is based on not harming animals.

HUH?

Are we not animals?
I'm not a vegetable or a mineral...although there are days I feel like a vegetable or a mineral...

It's just one of those bizarre questions that pop into my head...



To spit or not to spit...that is the question...so does anyone have an answer?


Anyway,I'm going to leave you with that question and this poem today.
I'm a HUGE lover of poetry. I have TONS of poetry books...some are famous poets with awards and well known poems published thousands of times over...and some are the lesser known poets who have done nothing more sensational than touched something deep inside me.
Every book is still a treasure to me.
I head to the poetry section in every book store before I go anywhere else. I'm the woman sitting on the floor, immersed in a book of poetry...impervious to the world around me.

Betcha didn't know that about me, did ya?

This is my mood for today... and this poem explains it so very well...

Before Sleep by Catherine Anderson


I was in love with anatomy
the symmetry of my body
poised for flight,
the heights it would take
over parents, lovers, a keen
riding over truth and detail.
I thought growing up would be
this rising from everything
old and earthly,
not these faltering steps out the door
every day, then back again.



We all have days where we feel slightly disillusioned about our lives don't we? One thing I have learned is that the fantasy is always better than the reality. If only we could find a compromise and stay in that place....*sigh*

See ya tomorrow...

9 comments:

  1. Hmmm... I could almost be the Anti-Vegan, but I know I consume some plant life even if by accident. I prefer all of my meals to mostly contain things that have walked at some point. I have a lot of days I feel disillusioned...

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was a vegetarian, my rules were the following: "I don't eat anything with a face." Sooo, if I weren't already the spitting kind, I suppose sperm (sperms?) don't have faces, although they carry half of the genetic makeup to create a face... they can't do it all by themselves. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well now. That's one question that never would have occurred to me. Now I have to go wonder "why not?"

    Love the poem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta spit is the only logical conclusion based on the parameters of your question. Of course, by spitting you'd be almost instantly condemming all those sperm cells to death also. It's a moral quandry, for sure, and thankfully one I'll never ever face!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, no, no. The principles of veganism are based in NOT HARMING animals. You missed the whole key phrase defining the point. Neither spitting nor swallowing has harmed any male animal of the human species I've ever met. Not spitting OR swallowing, well, now we're talking harm done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL Jennifer! I'd bet Mr.Man would agree with that...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been assuming that vegans and vegetarians tend to be not heterosexual. I could be wrong but since I don't have any close friends who are either I wouldn't really know.

    As far as life goes, well, that is it. It goes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't mean to get technical, but if you don't do the meat, how is the choice of spitting or swallowing even an issue?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a roommate in the formative Stew years who was a professed Vagitarian. And she didn't eat meat either. She was always eating Boca Burgers. Drove me insane. I mean why eat a "burger" that "tastes just like a real burger" if you don't like meat. Of either kind? I got really really smashed at a party one evening and decided to hit on her. She dutifully thwarted every attempt until I wore her down and kissed her with this long, passionate, meatless griller poised... you get the idea.

    We both started cracking up and that pretty much sealed the deal. I still would have done her just because I am a male (and therefore a pig) but it just wouldn't have been right.

    Sometime later she borrowed my razor and shaved her armpit hair with it. I caught her doing this but didn't think much of it. About a week later my razor started smelling like Chernobyl...

    I don't think she would have swallowed.

    ReplyDelete