Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Welkcome to a New Year Ladies and Gentlemen!

When I was a kid my brother and I always spent New Year's eve at Nana and Pa's house. It was without fail because my mother sure as hell was not going to stay home. She'd spend DAYS finding the right outfit and deciding how to fix her hair...man, it was a great production...and she always wanted to make sure her New Year's eve was perfect...



Got to LOVE those 70's clothes, right?

Anyway, my brother and I would be deposited at my grandparents house early in the day(if we weren't there already) and our own New Year's eve celebration would be begin.
My Nana always made sure we had plenty to do. She'd have a puzzle set up on the card table for us to work on and we'd have a stack of games to play. A lot of our toys were already at her house, so we had those to play with, but my grandparents were determined that we have a special night too. Because the Christmas tree was still set up, they'd wrap small gifts for us and put those under the Christmas tree so we'd have New Year's gifts to open after dinner. It was small stuff like paper dolls and matchbox cars and yoyo's or a jump rope, but it was such a treat for us. We really did feel like we were having our own celebration.

I loved paper dolls and my two favorite sets were these ones...





There was always the issue of having more women than men so even Jughead got in on the action...Melody was normally his woman.(And in case you're curious, I always put Betty with Archie. She was, after all, the nice girl and deserved him.)

We would bake cookies or make candy in the afternoon and then I would help Nana make our dinner. We'd have a nice pork roast with all the trimmings and for dessert there would be rice pudding. It's a tradition that I still carry on today with my own family.
After dinner, we'd clean everything up. My brother and Pa would sit in their chairs in the living room and shoot Nana with those sucker gun darts as she tried to wash dishes.Then they'd laugh and laugh about it. I can still hear Pa laughing in my mind...



Those little suckers stung if they hit you in just the right spot. I always figured that Nana would grab one and try to shove it up Pa's ass, but she never did...and yes, my brother had this exact set...(Starksky was the hottie In My Opinion...just saying...)

I'm not sure why, but it seems as though Lawrence Welk was on every New Year's eve. Or maybe it's just because the local television station aired it, but I can remember it being on and my Nana and Pa dancing to it in the living room. My brother and I would laugh and fidget on the couch, but they didn't seem to notice us.
I guess that's the difference between them and my mom. An episode of Lawrence Welk on a black and white television was enough for them....



Almost as good as a Swedish Polka, isn't it?

I'm not sure what Mr.Man and I are doing tonight. While I enjoy going out, he is not so keen on it. And to be honest,as long as he is holding me tight, I can be happy watching Jeremiah Johnson for the 900th time or watching how they make tires on the Discovery channel OR play a game of Trivial Pursuit where he will kick my ass soundly and accuse me of getting all the "easy" questions in the event that I win.

I will make a nice dinner for my family and rice pudding, and then we can play games, (although Little Beatle is really the only one who likes to play anymore). We've had a couple of friends ask us to do something with them, but I'm not sure if we will or not...

Whatever it is that you find yourself doing this evening, before you retire and wake to a New Year, or as you watch the Ball drop in Times Square...I leave you with this thought and the hope that 2009 will bring you all peace, prosperity and good health...

"We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day. ~Edith Lovejoy Pierce"

Happy New Year everyone!!!!

16 comments:

  1. good memories.
    I think this year I will fall asleep at about 9. wake up around 11:59pm, kiss my wife and fall back to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking I'll spend the evening alone and take drugs. More exciting than any of my other New Years Eve parties so far

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those seventies memories.

    Happy 2009 to you and your family BG!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved any paper dolls, too. Happy New Year! mwah, mwah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm staying at home tonight with a bottle of domestic "champagne" to keep me company. Have a great time with your family and I wish you a happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is Karaoke Night for the third NYE in a row at our house. The neighbors will come over and even if we sing really crappy, we'll probably do it until well after the ball has dropped.

    Probably won't be as entertaining as the memories of your youth though.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's cold, windy...actually frigid outside. Staying home, having the traditional sauerkraut...and all is well within. Happy New Year and hope only good things for all in 2009!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here in Eastern NC, we're off to our friends' house. We shall play board games. (Battle of the Sexes is MY game, where I am SO the Queen of Liquor and Fishin'!)

    All of us have kids, so we probably won't even stay 'til midnight. It's also a 20 min. drive...

    We're drinking coffee (Folgers Creme Brulee), eating junk food...

    ...and consuming the traditional Black Eyed Peas for good luck. Well, we're at least opening the can and heating them up.

    Happy New Years to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! Your post took me down memory lane! Your Nana sounds awesome, by the way.

    We did absolutely NOTHING for New Years -- watch tv, hung out, enjoyed the calm.

    Hope your 2009 is wonderful, Tammie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG...Josie and the Pussycats!!

    Hot.

    Had I been old enough to rub one off when they were on back in the day, I certainly would have.

    Going to take care of that now. I've lost a lot of time.

    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello there! I found your blog a refreshing change from the usual dull-as-dishwater stuff I seem to stumble into most of the time ... your blog in contrast is thoroughly trashy ... in a good sort of way!

    And whilst it is obvious that you are ex-tweem-ly bored, you seem determined to try and do something about it ... Good On Ya!

    Oh, and by the way - your list of 'Favourite Music' is a bit brief ... innit? ;)

    PS: That Jagalskada (AOL) link on your profile is broke ...
    (*thinks* OK then, that's my good deed done for today)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry I'm getting here so late in the week, but I want to wish you a Happy New Year! We did nothing that night except eat at our favorite Mexican place and then come home.

    Come by my blog today, there's a photo you may like seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, a trip down memory lane that didnt' make my tick come back.

    Go visit my dear, I have a present waiting for you, a NEW YEAR gift.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just saw Starsky on TV today informing me that the average person owns 8 CREDIT CARDS!!! WTH!

    ReplyDelete