Monday, December 22, 2008

INSTRUMENT OF TORTURE!!!

For the last hour and a half I have been cursing and pulling my hair...and no...it's not because I've been having sex.
I have been attempting to operate the most heinous of all machinery known to mankind...



Yep...that's right. It's a fucking sewing machine.
Let me tell you something about a sewing machine. When you're in a hurry it fucks up every other stitch. The goddamn needle breaks AND the shitty little bobbin gets tangled up,ripping half the material into shreds because the needle gets stuck in the foot of the machine and won't let loose.

I curse the day I learned how to sew!!!



I was actually happy when my great-grandmother offered to teach me how to sew. I learned how to sew because the hand-me-downs I got from my cousins didn't fit me right. So she taught me how to fix my clothes to fit me. Having clothes that fit was a treat...

But had I know what kind of hell I would end up being subjected to at the hands of a sewing machine, I would have continued to walk around looking like a hobo and never touched the damn thing!

I should be grateful that I know how to use a sewing machine. It's an acquired skill much like my sexual experience, yet here I am complaining about something I can do well that potentially can make me money....



NO! NO!!! NOT THAT!!!
SEWING!!! SEWING CAN MAKE ME MONEY!!!

People make a lot of money making things and selling them OR altering clothes, making costumes,sewing slipcovers or curtains....you can do a lot of things when you know how to sew.

And, it would seem that I'd better be looking for a way to earn some money. I got laid off from my job today.
Yep...I'm officially unemployed now. Too bad I didn't work long enough to collect unemployment. I mean, I knew I'd be getting done and it probably wouldn't last until the end of January, but I was pretty shocked to learn that I was getting done today. There was no warning and nothing said about it until I was already at work.

Sooo....any suggestions for going into business for myself???
Let me know what YOU think about it and I'll be back, apparently, tomorrow.

IN the meantime I believe I will continue to work on fixing this machine so I can get something done....wish me luck!

10 comments:

  1. {{HUGS}} Sorry about the unemployment. I think sewing would be a valuable skill to have in life and seems like there should be some opportunity to capitalize on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw dude - laid of sucks.

    Don't see why you shouldn't start an alterations biz. People pay 20 bucks to get their pants hemmed, for gosh sakes.

    Nice to see you back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry 'bout the job sitch, but this means: we can do lunch! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about that BG. Especially now.

    Tiff is right; people are always looking for an alterations person, so get that machine fixed and have at it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never really got past the frustrated phase of operating a sewing machine although my Mom is a great sewer.

    I work in the rag trade and understand the difference between a good and a bad sewing job. It is a true talent.

    Sorry about the lay off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just bought my wife a sewing machine for xmas. No, I'm not THAT kind of guy, she actually asked for one for a present. And if you are having that much trouble with one, with all your skills, I'm already cringing about the bitching that will be served up when she tries to use one. Hopefully the kids and I will be somewhere else on that day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a 5'4" 'hourglass' girl, I would appreciate someone knowing how to alter clothes for me. If I fit my hips, the waist is HUGE.

    I can't keep bundling up clothes and mailing them to my sister to fix.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I was little I would sit for hours watching my mother sew. She was a dress maker. An 09er dressshop owner brought her the most intricate fabrics, designs and patterns of thought to my mother so she could put those radical ideas into form.

    I learned to sew and using scraps of those most exquisite fabrics became the clothier of my barbie. And later when I complained about my skirts and dresses not being short enough-my mother said,"When you start making your own clothes..." And so I did from the 7th grade on...short and racey.

    Thinking I needed to make beer money a few years ago, I put together an alteration price list and distributed it at work. Let me tell you girl, unless you really work it... people just would rather buy something new than get it fixed/altered.

    But hey, it does keep me in beer money...about $40 a week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mother is a professional seamstress, as is my daughter.
    I tend to staple hems and glue on buttons.
    Somewhere there is a dna sequence lost and wandering.

    ReplyDelete