Monday, February 18, 2008

:-(

I won't be writing today because I will be on the phone with my family a lot.
My brother's wife's family has suffered a tragic loss.
Their little 7 year old niece was killed in a car accident over the weekend.

My sister-in-law came from a large family and they're all very close knit.When we go home to visit in the summer, we are also included in their family activities and my family has become an extended part of their family as well.
So we too were close to the little 7 year old girl. She was a sweet child with a zest for living.A 'girly girl' who could outrun her little boy cousins and climb trees with the best of them....

Her mom was young when she had her and she was her only child. My sister-in-law's older
sister was her grandmother.

Recently after not wanting anything to do with her, the girl's father petitioned the court for visitation. Her mother was concerned about it, knowing of his past drug use and petitioned for supervised visitation.

He won unsupervised visitation rights.

Saturday morning he sent his girlfriend to pick up the child from the babysitter. She had been pulled out of the ditch on two occasions earlier that week by strangers. Not a very safe driver or was there another reason for it?
She wasn't so lucky on Saturday morning was she?
The car didn't just slide into the ditch.
Now she is in critical condition but alive.
They expect the toxicology reports to show illegal drugs in her system.
Apparently she has still actively been using illegal drugs and several people have come forward to inform the authorities of her use prior to the accident.

Too bad they didn't do anything about it BEFORE the accident.

The family is requesting that donations be made to an organization that helps children who live with abusive or drug and alcohol addicted parents.

I really don't know what else to say about it all.

Seven years old...tragic.

12 comments:

  1. Oh, sweet Lord.

    I am so, so sorry.

    My thoughts and prayers are with your entire family over the loss of this little girl.

    I am so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammie, I am so very sorry to hear about this, it is very tragic. There is nothing more unfair in the world than a child being taken from us. My prayers are with you and her family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for the loss. Any loss of life is tragic, but for one so young it seems doubly so. My prayers go out to them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry. I'll be praying for you and your family and everyone who knew her.

    sometimes there are no words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet Jesus.

    What an unspeakable tragedy. Prayers ascending for this little girl, you and the whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my God, Tammie! I'm so, so sorry to read this.

    I can't know what your family is going through. Each life is different; therefore, each passing and the waves of emotions that come with it are different. But, when I was 18, the 9 y/o boy I used to babysit was killed when an SUV struck him beside the road. It was the most difficult emotional thing I ever faced...more difficult even than the passing of my father years later because we knew Dad had lived a good life and we knew his death was coming because he was so ill.

    Losing a person so young in a way that feels like it could have been prevented is haunting, like losing someone to murder...it leaves a hollow that can never be filled.

    You should perhaps post the details of that organization (you do not have to give the family's name for people to be able to make donations).

    My thoughts and wishes for comfort for your family are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry. That is one of my biggest nightmares (losing a child in a vehicle driven by someone who is not me).

    ReplyDelete
  8. How terribly sad. It also makes me mad that he would send a person like that to get the child. I hope that if the woman lives, she has to stand trial for death by vehicle and he ought to be punished somehow, for sending someone in that condition. It is too horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tammie, I am so very sorry to read this. What a horrible, tragic event, for all concerned. My thoughts will be with you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man....that's so not good. A nightmare.

    Thoughts and prayers to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete