Friday, August 15, 2008

Three..

They say that death comes in threes. This is an old wives tale but it's also been my experience to watch for death once someone I love dies.
With the passing of Upsda, I had wondered if death would visit the small community I call my family and friends and found myself wating anxiously, trying to push it from my mind.

Last weekend my best friends mother died.

My friend "Sandy" and I have known each other forever. We started playing together when I was three and we were inseparable. Needless to say, I spent many, many days at her house. Her mother became my mother. The normalcy her family offered my broken little life was something beautiful. It drew me in and wrapped itself around me like a blanket of reason in a world of confusion. It's hard to explain, really...but it was everything good in my life and once I stepped through the doors of that house,it was like going to Grammie's or Nanas and I felt like nothing could touch me that was bad or harmful.

For her to lose her mother is like me losing mine as well.

So...this is the reason I have not been writing. I grieve better when I am alone with my thoughts. I deal with pain like a wounded animal...running away and staying hidden until I'm healed.

I'm not a superstitious person so worrying about a third person in my life won't be an issue, but it will sit firmly in the back of my mind, pressing itself into my thoughts. And until it leaves and I can finish grieving, my thoughts will not be my own.

I'll be back when they are...

9 comments:

  1. Awe, so sorry for you loss. A biggie too. I also had a house like that with a friends Mom like that. Becaue my home was maddness too. It was a retreat, an escape and I could walk in like it was my own home too. So I totally relate to how powerful and important that relationship was.

    I hate that things come in three stuff. But hey, look at it this way...they are dropping like flies in Hollywood with no specific counts. So therefore the rule of 3 must no longer be in effect and you may very well be done for now.

    Take your break and go through your grieving process. We all do it differently.

    Namaste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. {{HUGS}} I'm so sorry for your loss. I think anyone that has had a rough childhood seeks out these secondary parents to give them a safe haven. It's just as traumatic to lose them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, BG I'm so sorry.

    When we get to the age when our parents and our friends' parents are old to enough to die, it really changes your perspective on life. And everything really. I didn't feel "grown up" until my parents died. And I don't mean grown up in a "yay! I'm old enough to drive/drink/ date" kind of way. I mean "Oh, shit, *I'm the grown up" kind of way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your surrogate mom... I hope things look up for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry that you've had to experience this kind of loss yet again. I hope you are wrong about the threes as well.

    {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too am sorry for your loss...losing even the "surrogate" parent is traumatic. Draw on your support network of friends and this will help alleviate the grief.

    ReplyDelete
  7. BG
    Technically this could be the third. If you count the little girl, UPSDA and now this. I don't know if this comment is a tragic reminder of loss or a way to get that big #3 out of the back of your head. Again sorry for your losses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Take your time. When you are ready come back to us. Until then you shall remain in my thoughts and meditations. Peace.

    ReplyDelete