Sunday, August 17, 2008

Lemonade...50 cents

Sometimes you find yourself surrounded with lemons.



So you do what any optimist would do and make lemonade.
You squeeze the sour from each and every lemon until the juice runs between your fingers and the sour smell makes your eyes burn...
Then you add sugar...just a little at first, and icy cold water, saving some of it to relieve the rawness on your hands from all the acidic juice.

Then you take your first drink.
You draw a long time from the cup and after you already have a mouthful, you realize that it's too tart and you long to spit it all out...
But you don't.
You swallow it and you pucker up your mouth, half disapprovingly but mostly disgusted with the taste of it and you add more sugar.

Then you add a whole lot more sugar. After all, more sugar can't hurt it.

So you take another drink, sipping this time to test it and you realize it's pretty damn good. So you drink and drink from this endless supply of lemonade because the lemons keep coming and you keep on making the best of it.

But in time, you grow tired of that sour sweet taste. You come to hate the sight of anything yellow and even lemon scented furniture polish makes your stomach turn. (So you just stop dusting your furniture.)



At night you dream of crystal cold streams flowing freely down majestic mountains, endless skies of azure filled with fluffy white clouds and you wake up happy.

Until you step out of bed and you feel a lemon smashed flat beneath your foot, squished between your toes.

So many lemons...

What to do with them all?

Some people sell their lemonade. They make a lot of money too. Selling novels...



Or books of poetry....some even write songs about their lemons...singing in soft, sad voices that make us all feel united in some way.

Cause we all have lemons...

Honestly, I'm sick of lemons...lemonade...yellow...sour...bitter...

You won't hear this come out of my mouth very often but...I'm going shopping today.



Fucking lemons...

21 comments:

  1. Add vodka to you lemonade and you'll be all set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some shopping therapy is very good for the soul sometimes :) Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Ron.

    Sometimes, just GETTING OUT OF THE HOUSE is a grand start.

    Time wandering the aisles can be very relaxing.

    I hope you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 50 cents - what is this? Highway robbery? :-) I think when life hands you lemons, a hot fudge cake can also help. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's why I stick to only drinking water, tea and red wine. Fuck lemons!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crap.

    When life hands you lemons....of course. I'm tired.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite line is...."When life hands you lemonade - stick 'em in your bra", but you SO obviously don't need them there!! LOL Hope the shopping trip was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Make pink lemonade or try limes.
    Throw the lemons at the irate clients at work when delivering their packages.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are definitely my sister in another lifetime, maybe in this lifetime...

    Lemons are for keeping your blonde roots blonde.

    I love the word, "fucktard."

    I don't understand why you're not having sex if you're married. I just don't get it. This is disturbing to a single chick like me who looks forward to my marriage vows including, "Sex three times a week and all weekend."

    I don't even know where Possum Hollow meets Two Branch and I'm from the other side of BFE.

    I'm sorry to hear of the recent deaths in your life. I do much the same... I crawl away and lick my wounds.

    I hate shopping too, but sometimes, ya gotta...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to put lemonade in my bra, but enough about my lonely Saturday nights...
    kwr221 is right. As is warped ron.
    So go shopping for vodka. As for me, I'll be over here, sending you good thoughts and wringing out my bra.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Confucius say:
    Man who squeezes lemons in front of synagogue
    Sees juice come out

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wouldn't it be nice if you could give life back it's lemons and tell it to stuff 'em where the sun don't shine?

    Here's hoping the retail therapy helped.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Inanna - "This is disturbing to a single chick like me who looks forward to my marriage vows including, "Sex three times a week and all weekend."

    You can give *that up after you have kids.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've been tagged!
    http://www.tanjents.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Saw the picture of you posing with the girls at ETW's lunch date. Looking good! And you looked like you were having fun with that bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such insightful suggestions...I'd say this is an ecclectic bunch!!! I vote for the vodka!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Vodka and xanax with that lemonade? Good Lord, I'd be out cold for a few days at least.

    Hey, wait... that doesn't sound too bad, actually...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't do lemons right now. They give me heartburn.

    ReplyDelete
  19. you ok??? please come back we miss you

    ReplyDelete
  20. Okay, Honey - I'm seriously missing your funny shizzit right now.

    Come back soon, my blog roll just isn't the same, dammit.

    Hope you're okay.

    ReplyDelete